Deaf & Hard of Hearing Services Center
Technology Assistance Program Specialist (Part Time approx. 25 hours a week)
Deaf & Hard of Hearing Services Center (DHHSC) is seeking a professional Technology Assistance Program (TAP) Specialist to cover areas of Staunton, Charlottesville, and Harrisonburg and adjacent counties in Virginia. This person will work with individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, late deafened, deafblind and speech challenged consumers.
- Two years or more of college education in social work, deaf studies, rehabilitation, human services or a related field.
- Knowledge of deaf culture and access issues for deaf, hard of hearing and deafblind individuals with varying degrees of hearing loss.
- Knowledge of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and other disability laws related to accessibility and reasonable accommodations requirements and community resources.
- Ability to communicate effectively using American Sign Language as well as communicating effectively in English – both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of principles and practices for providing customer service, including assessing the needs of consumers.
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Knowledge of clerical procedures and systems such as file and record management.
- Experience in the preparation of monthly reports and other narratives as required by the DHHSC Executive Director and the Virginia Department for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency using email, calendar functions, Power Point Presentations, Excel spreadsheets, Google Drive and Microsoft Office functions.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in the use of specialized technology including relay services and other assistive technology for the deaf, hard of hearing, deafblind and speech challenged.
- Ability to deliver, install/set up, provide consumer training and troubleshoot specialized technology equipment.
- Strong knowledge of wired and wireless networking and various phone technologies including smart phones and tablets.
- Ability to present to large audiences.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule for appointments and other assignments. Some evening, weekend and occasional overnight stays required.
- Be able to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Use of personal car is essential for consumer and community appointments.
Resumes accepted until position filled. Email resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about DHHSC, see www.deafhh.org.