Deaf & Hard of Hearing Services Center
DHHSC Outreach Specialist (Full Time)
Deaf & Hard of Hearing Services Center (DHHSC) is seeking a professional Outreach Specialist to cover areas of Staunton, Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, Winchester and adjacent counties in Virginia. Position requires ability to work independently and as a team providing information and referral, home assessments, public awareness training, telecommunication equipment installation and training.
- Two years or more of college education in a related field desirable
- Two years or more with human services experience
- A good understanding of deaf culture
- Ability to communicate effectively – spoken English, ASL, and in writing
- Ability to report service related issues and communicate frequently with the DHHSC Executive Director and Virginia Department of Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Be able to work with deaf, hard of hearing, late deafened, deafblind, speech challenged consumers and willing to be involved in their community events.
- Have own transportation & willing to travel
- Be flexible for appointments and assignments, some evenings and weekends, occasional overnight stays
- Knowledge of ADA and community resources
- Knowledge of telecommunication devices for the deaf, hard of hearing, late deafened, deafblind, and speech challenged
- Strong organizational, office and computer skills including Microsoft Office, email and videophones
- Basic knowledge of phone technologies, networking, smart phones, and tablets
- Be able to lift up to 25 lbs of equipment and informational exhibits
Resumes accepted until position filled.
Email resume to:
For more information about DHHSC, see www.deafhh.org.